Sunday, May 17, 2009

Is imitation flattery?

I've been meaning to post a picture of this for a while. On my drive to work I pass these two billboards. I was hoping to get a decent picture of them side by side but this will just have to do. It's much harder to snap a photo while driving than I expected but I think you'll get the point.

So the billboard on the right is a Bell advertisement for 3G service in Canada. With the new Bell brand, the "B" is used to create the "M" in "More 3G".

The billboard on the left is for a local car dealer. You'll notice that there appears to be a "M" on the lower left in similar fashion to the Bell ad.

Coincidence? What do you think?

Or is there something obvious I'm missing here.

1 comment:

  1. The usedcarshop.com billboard is actually quite clever. They are a USED car shop so what they were going for with this Ad was a "used" billboard. They attempted to make it seem as if they were using a space that was previously used by Bell and in the process the "B/M" was still visible on the board (just in a different color).

    It's a tactic I often see in Ads around the web but rarely in halifax. Playing off of other advertisements can be extremely clever and deserves a pat on the back (when done the right way.) It also is a great way to get buzz - Exactly what is taking place on this post.

    ReplyDelete